August

Nearly two months ago, I packed my bags and started on my 8-hour journey from Dallas to New Orleans. Entering this program, I was unsure of how I would adjust to living far from home for a year. From day one in the Masters of Pharmacology program, I have been blown away by the dedication of the professors at Tulane School of Medicine and the friendly, cooperative spirit of my classmates in the program. I knew that taking the Medical Pharmacology course with T2 students at Tulane SOM would not be a walk in the park; so, from day one, I hit the ground running. I continue to improve my study habits and take part in study groups to discuss the material and garner a better understanding of the concepts. At this time, we have completed two blocks (Basic Principles and ANS/CV) and I am pleased with my grades so far, as I know they are commensurate with my effort to really grasp the material.

In regards to volunteer work, I was pleased to learn that community service is mandatory for the students in the program. I am a firm advocate of giving back to the community, especially serving the elderly and the impoverished. While I have not had the chance (as of yet) to volunteer at a community clinic for the uninsured in New Orleans, I have had the privilege of volunteering for 11.5 hours in the month of August at HomeLife in the Gardens, an assisted living and memory care community. Before coming to New Orleans, I knew that I wanted to continue working with elderly patients, particularly those with neurological conditions. At HomeLife in the Gardens, I have been able to work closely with many residents, sitting down and chatting briefly with those who simply desire someone to spend time with them and listen to their stories. With the memory care residents in particular, I assist the staff by utilizing music and exercise to stimulate memories and conversations. Even though I have only spent 11.5 hours thus far at HomeLife, I have heard some incredible stories, from one woman’s childhood herding cattle and horse-riding to another’s religious pilgrimage to learn more about St. Francis. I look forward to continue my work at HomeLife throughout my time in New Orleans and hope to help in organizing more activities for the residents.


In the coming weeks, I will be serving with Habitat for Humanity as well as starting my involvement with the KIPP program.





HomeLife Hours: 11.5 hours

Total Fall Semester Hours: 11.5 hours

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

January: Boiling Water and Selling Tickets

November: A Month of Thanksgiving