September: A Month to Remember


Two and a half months in New Orleans sure did fly by. I find myself constantly checking the calendar, wondering where in the world did time go? September has been a busy month on multiple fronts. In terms of school work, the Renal block presented a steady balance of lectures and self studies, emphasizing primarily the role of Diuretics and Anti-hypertensives. Outside of the classroom, I have continued to devote some time to volunteering at HomeLife in the Gardens, while also partaking in a Habitat for Humanity build and spending Friday afternoons at the KIPP Leadership Academy. 

Although I have only been able to spend 4 hours at HomeLife in the month of September, I am pleased with my experiences with the residents so far. Last week, I had the privilege of running multiple Bingo games in the lobby, on top of my usual duties. I am hoping in the coming weeks to spend more time at HomeLife, especially after watching the documentary ‘Alive Inside.’ I am a firm proponent of music as a method of stimulating the mind and reinvigorating the soul of patients with Alzheimers. The memory care division at HomeLife is only a handful of residents; however, I believe I can make some tangible difference in their lives with music therapy. *cue Let’s Groove Tonight* ♪♪♪♪

My experiences at the KIPP Leadership Academy have not been as engaging as I had previously hoped. In my 6 hours of work at KIPP, I have organized supply closets, rearranged tables and chairs throughout the premises, and cut out “Obama bucks” for the students to earn, to the degree of hundreds of thousands of dollars. That is more than enough for students to take multiple trips to Atlanta, which I believe is a really intriguing idea utilized by KIPP to instill the values of leadership and community excellence in its students. Despite the usefulness of administrative work at KIPP, I believe that my initial interest in reaching out to the youth and providing guidance has remained at bay. Regardless of my frustration, I know the importance of consistency and commitments; and so, my classmates and I will continue to visit the KIPP school on Fridays throughout the semester. 

Eight hours. The sun beating, sweat dripping, arms and feet aching. Habitat for Humanity truly put my classmates and I to work. Volunteering is a rewarding experience alone; however, in a group, it is truly a team building exercise. A few of my classmates and I spent the majority of the eight hours painting the entire exterior of the Habitat home. One coat after another, making sure to correct the edges, truly TLC (tender loving care). Arguably the most rewarding moment of that day was when the future owner of the home dropped by and was pleased with our painting skills. I look forward to another Habitat for Humanity build later in the semester. 

Inside and outside the classroom, I have enjoyed my time thus far in New Orleans and I am looking forward to October. Two block exams in one month! 

4 hour Home Life
6 hr KIPP
8 hr Habitat for Humanity 

September Hours = 18 hrs

Total Hours= 29.5 hours



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

November: A Month of Thanksgiving

March: T-Minus One Month

January: Boiling Water and Selling Tickets