October: Finally Some Cool Weather

Fall is finally here. Sub-60 degree nights with an occasional sub-70 degree day sprinkled in. And perhaps more importantly, no major rain storms. For the past few weeks, the weather in New Orleans has been nothing short of majestic. I hope to take advantage of this wonderful weather by spending more time outdoors, whether it be volunteering, attending festivals or studying.

While on the topic of studying, I must say that I am glad to have put the Pulmonary block exams behind me. As much fun as I had learning about NSAIDs, antivirals, and antifungals (I love me some -azoles), I was eagerly looking forward to the GI/Neoplasia Block. Coupling my background in cancer research at UTSW with my intrinsic desire to learn more in the field of infectious diseases, I tackled the material in this block with passion and vigor. The GI/Neoplasia block exam is this coming Thursday. 

Unfortunately, outside of the classroom, I was unable to complete a substantial number of service hours this month. I am a man of few excuses. So rather than chalking up reasons for why I did not serve considerably last month, I will make a bold statement: I, Luke Mascarenhas, will surpass 10 service hours in the month of November. You can quote me on it. 

During my 2.5 hours at HomeLife this month, I was able to implement, over the span of two weekends, music therapy in the memory care center. I was moved by the way the music seemed to soothe the residents. One resident in particular had apparently not said a word before I walked in. Then, after holding her hand for a little while and putting on some Ol' Blue Eyes (Frank Sinatra) classics, she smiled and started talking. I will continue to utilize music therapy at HomeLife in the Gardens for the coming months.  

During my time last week at the KIPP School, I expected to move tables or reorganize closets, with little to no interaction with the children. To my surprise, our task involved helping to set up a pep rally for the middle schoolers. The kids from the four houses in the school then danced, rapped and played games during arguably the most 'lit' pep rally ever in a middle school. The DJ was blasting one Kendrick Lamar track after another, firing up not only the students, but the teachers as well. I was amazed at how the school tries to energize the kids and get them excited about learning. I look forward to spending more time at KIPP in the month of November. 

Overall, I am pleasantly surprised at how I have adjusted to living in New Orleans. Small town kid in a big(ish) city. And while I find the $4 gallon of milk to be blasphemous, the food here is truly one of a kind. I will post below some of my favorite dishes. 

Until next time! 
-Luke Mascarenhas 

September Hours= 5.5 hours


Total Hours= 35 hours 









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

November: A Month of Thanksgiving

March: T-Minus One Month

January: Boiling Water and Selling Tickets